Wayfarers Chapel, which is sponsored by The Swedenborgian Church, is dedicated to the glory of God and serves as a national memorial to Emanuel Swedenborg, 18th century scientist, philosopher and theologian.
The thirty volumes of theology Swedenborg authored make up the theological and philosophical perspectives that are the core of Swedenborgian belief.
Key elements of Swedenborgian belief include:
- There is one God whose essence is Divine Love and Wisdom. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all aspects of God just as body, mind, and soul are all aspects of one person.
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God that provides inspiration and help to lead better and more fulfilling lives. The literal sense of Scripture tells the story of the people of God, and contains a deeper meaning that illumines the journey of the human soul.
- People are essentially spirits clothed with material bodies. At death, the material body is laid aside and the person continues to live on in the world of spirit choosing a heavenly life or a hellish one, based on the quality of life choices made here.
- God gives everyone the freedom to choose their beliefs and live their lives accordingly. Salvation is available for people of all religions.
- The Second Coming has taken place—and in fact still is taking place. It is not an actual physical appearance of the Lord, but rather his return in spirit and truth that is being effected as a present reality.
- God is infinitely loving and at the center of every life.
- Truth is love in action. Actions performed out of love are genuine expressions in a physical form of what love means.